Getting the pasta fix we all desire does not have to be hard or unhealthy. I am always trying to reinvent recipes that still have the flavor of the foods I love without the guilt and calories!
When it comes to healthy pasta recipes, I have two easy steps for us.
- We need a good base for our healthy pasta sauce recipe. I have come up with some pasta noodle alternative ideas to look over!
- We need to make the healthy pasta sauce recipes from scratch…. Don’t freak out! IT’S EASY!
These traditional noodle alternatives allow us to pour our healthy pasta sauce recipes over something that has more nutrients and still tastes amazing. So let’s do it!
Choose a Healthy Noodle Alternative
Spiralized veggies – serving size 2 cups
Cabbage noodles – serving size 2 cups
Zoodles – serving size 2 cups
High protein pasta – serving size 1 cup
Cauliflower couscous – serving size 1 cup
Spaghetti squash – serving size 2 cups
Quinoa – serving size 1 cup
Rice noodles- serving size 2 cups
Brown rice – serving size 1 cup
Brown rice pasta – serving size 1 cup
Steamed veggies – serving size 2 cups
Whole wheat pasta – serving size 1 cup
Jerusalem artichoke pasta – serving size 1 cup
Pasta Zero – serving size 1 cup
Healthy Cooking Tips:
- Always salt the water you are using to boil or steam your pasta. It will help season the ingredients you are using for your healthy pasta sauce base. The water should taste a bit salty. This way you won’t over salt the food later.
- Remember that portions sizes count. People tend to pile up the base they are using and just add a bit of sauce. Instead, really pile on the sauce and keep the noodle alternative to one serving size. (See above for proper serving sizes. Notice that if we choose veggies, we can eat more!)
Healthy Homemade Pasta Sauce: Marinara
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (or use diced tomatoes for chunkier sauce)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb cooked/browned ground turkey
Torn basil leaves to top off the dish
Spinach leaves (Chop and add to the sauce for added veggies in your day or to hide from the kids!)
- In a medium saucepan, saute chopped garlic in oil until tender. Use medium heat for two minutes. (Add the turkey meat to the pan and cook until browned.)
- Stir in Italian seasoning and a can of tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until slightly thickened.
This is a great homemade healthy pasta sauce that you can make in five minutes flat. Use this healthy pasta sauce over the spaghetti squash recipe in the LadyBossⓇ Trainer.
Healthy Cooking Tips:
- There are some good jarred healthy pasta sauces out there. But for the most part, jarred sauces are high in sugar! There are 4g of sugar in ONE TEASPOON! Check the labels!
- Making our own healthy pasta recipe insures that we are limiting unnecessary salt and sugar.
How to Make Healthy Pasta Sauce: Pasta Puttanesca Version
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
4-6 chopped garlic cloves
2 tbsp anchovy paste
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
20 oil-cured black olives or greek olives coarsely chopped, pits removed
3 tbsp capers
1 (32 oz) can chunky style crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
A few grinds black pepper
¼ cup (a couple of handfuls) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Add oil, garlic, anchovies, and crushed pepper to a large saute pan.
- Saute mixture about 3 minutes. The anchovies should melt into oil and completely dissolve. The garlic should also be tender.
- Add olives, capers, tomatoes, black pepper, and parsley. Bring sauce to a bubble, reduce heat, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.
This is another one of my favorite sauce choices! This is a great recipe to try if your crew loves a little bite or tang in their sauce, or if they love the taste of olives. Sometimes we don’t want a pasta dish with the typical tomato sauce. So here is an alternative recipe that you can find in the LadyBossⓇ Trainer!
Alternative Fresh, Light, and Healthy Pasta Sauce : Quick and Easy Shrimp Scampi
1 bag Pasta Zero
2 cups raw shrimp, peeled with tails removed and patted dry
1 tsp black pepper
Juice from 1 fresh lemon
- Cook pasta according to bag instructions.
- Preheat skillet to medium. Add shrimp. Cook shrimp turning every few seconds until no longer opaque. Then add lemon juice.
- Top pasta with shrimp and fresh pepper
As we start having a healthier lifestyle it becomes easier to swap out our old, unhealthy recipes for better choices. At LadyBossⓇ we like to try to get women out of their comfort zone and be brave in trying new recipes!
Getting creative in the kitchen can be fun and rewarding! Be sure to find more recipes like this try the LadyBossⓇ Lifestyle Free for 7 days
- How To Figure Out And Set Your Healthy Weight Goals - February 19, 2020
- Healthy Holiday Party Appetizers That Anyone Will Love - November 29, 2019
- Genius Ways to Use Up All Your Thanksgiving Leftovers - November 8, 2019