It can be so hard to eat healthy, especially during the holidays. With so many sweet, savory, creamy and fattening holiday party appetizers at our fingertips, it might seem like it is impossible to stay on track this time of year.
Christmas appetizers tend to be especially rich and indulgent, and if you are anything like me, you likely start to panic just thinking about how your clothes will fit once the ball drops on New Year’s.
There is no need to worry, though, there are tons of healthy holiday party appetizers that are both delicious and far from the “naughty” list.
There is something delicious for everyone here, whether you’re a vegetarian or a meat-lover!
If you are looking for healthy appetizers for Christmas, you have come to the right place.
Gone are the days when Christmas appetizers were boring, basic, and made up of excess cheese, fat, and sweets.
There’s now so much to choose from in the way of easy holiday party appetizers, and you don’t have to gain any weight indulging in these healthy options. Christmas appetizers are officially solved for you… now you just have to choose which of these recipes to make. Be careful though, you might just love them all!
Avocado Feta Dip
- 2 plum Roma tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup onion chopped very finely
- 1 bunch fresh curly parsley chopped very fine
- 1 clove garlic minced finely
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 ounces plain crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 avocados chopped in chunks
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients except the avocado. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for several hours (or overnight if you prefer).
- Add chopped avocado. Stir.
- Serve with veggies or gluten-free crackers. Enjoy!
- Please note that you may choose to let this marinate in the fridge for extra flavor or serve immediately. *Serving: 1.5-2 Cups.
Broccoli and Cheddar-Stuffed Potato Skins with Avocado Cream
- 8 small Idaho potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds total), scrubbed and dried
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces broccoli florets, coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 pieces turkey bacon, finely diced (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar (about 3 ounces)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, greens reserved
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Pierce the potatoes several times with a fork then wrap in paper towels. Microwave on high for 13-15 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through. Remove from microwave and cool until potatoes are easy to handle. Slice potatoes in half, lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop all but 1/8 inch of the inside of the potato, leaving the skin intact. Reserve the scooped potato flesh for another use.
- Brush both the inside and outside of potatoes with oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Place potatoes, skin-side down, on a baking sheet and bake until the skins are crisp and edges are golden brown, for approx. 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Steam the broccoli until crispy-tender, for approx. 3 – 4 minutes. Drain and set aside. Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the turkey bacon and cook until crisp, stirring often, about 3 – 4 minutes. Set aside.
- To make the avocado cream, combine scallion whites, avocado, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, garlic and salt in the small bowl of a food processor and process on high until smooth. About 30 seconds.
- Toss the broccoli with cheese and spoon filling evenly among potatoes. Lower the oven temp. to 400 degrees and return potatoes to oven until cheese is melted, in approx. 5 minutes. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the avocado cream on top of broccoli-filled potatoes, then top with scallion greens and 1 teaspoon crisped bacon bits.
- ENJOY!!! *Serves 8.
Healthy 7 Layer Dip
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup salsa, low sodium
- 1 teaspoon low sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, non-fat
- 1 cup salsa/low sodium salsa
- 3 medium avocados, pitted with skin removed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning, low sodium
- 1/2 small jalapeño, finely diced
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- 1 cup of your favorite low-fat shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup black olives, pitted & sliced
- In a small bowl, mash the beans well. Add the remaining Bean Layer ingredients and mix. Spread the mixture in 8 x 11 dish or onto any other large serving platter.
- Spread the White Layer over the beans followed by a Salsa Layer.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocados with a fork & add remaining ingredients from Guacamole Layer. Mix and spread on top of the Salsa Layer.
- Place a layer of lettuce over the Guacamole Layer and top with your favorite cheese. Garnish with black olives. Serve immediately with whole-grain tortilla chips.
- Enjoy!!! *Makes 16 servings
Low-Fat Strawberry Cream Cheese Bites
- 14 strawberries with stems, cut in half
- 1/2 cup (1/2 of 8-oz. tub) Reduced Fat PHILADELPHIA Pineapple Cream Cheese Spread
- 1/4 cup chopped PLANTERS Walnuts
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- Mix the pineapple juice into the whipped cream cheese with spoon.
- Spread strawberry halves with cream cheese spread.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Enjoy!! *Makes 14 Servings.
Don’t Get Stuck With Boring Appetizers
There are many super yummy appetizers you can make this holiday season so you don’t have to stick to the tried and true, boring appetizers of the past that are loaded with fat.
You also don’t have to stress out or go overboard with your calories to make truly delicious foods that will be the talk of the party.
All you have to do is try the recipes above, and then head on over to the LadyBoss® Pocket Personal Trainer to find even more healthy recipes like this!
- The Only Way to Lose Weight: Burn More Calories Than You Eat - March 22, 2020
- How To Figure Out And Set Your Healthy Weight Goals - February 19, 2020
- Healthy Holiday Party Appetizers That Anyone Will Love - November 29, 2019