Enjoying a low carb Chinese meal probably seems nearly impossible, but we’ve decided to make the impossible possible.
From fine dining to the much-loved take out, Chinese food is more popular today than ever. But if you’re someone who prefers to eat a lower-carb diet for one reason or another, finding low carb Chinese food probably seems like a distant dream.
While Chinese food is typically high sodium and even higher in carbs, healthy Chinese food choices, including low carb, do exist. Due to popular trends, it is easier to find a Chinese restaurant cooking low carb Chinese food options.
But even if you don’t know where to start trying to find low carb at a Chinese restaurant, some resources can help with that. For example, the LadyBoss Pocket Personal Trainer offers a detailed guide to help find healthier options at restaurants. Or, you can even talk directly with a personal trainer and get their advice!
So if you find yourself constantly Googling, “Chinese food on the low-carb diet,” we’ve got you covered. That’s why we want to share our favorite picks for low carb options when ordering Chinese food.
Low Carb Friendly Chinese Food
Finding Chinese food low in carbs does not need to feel insurmountable. To help with the task, we’ve decided to list the Chinese food options that are the best low-carb Chinese food orders to choose from the next time you crave the flavors of the East.
- Egg Drop Soup: This classic soup can become a carb friendly Chinese food by leaving any crispy wontons off as a topping.
- Hot & Sour Soup: Like Egg Drop soup, this Chinese staple is a naturally low-carb option when ordering low-carb friendly Chinese food.
- Beef & Broccoli: This classic is a low-carb Chinese entree choice as long as you don’t add any noodles or rice on the side.
- Mu Shu Pork Lettuce Wraps: You rarely can go wrong with sticking to whole foods such as Mu Shu Pork and lettuce wrap when looking for healthy Chinese food recipes that are low in carbs.
- Chinese Pepper Steak: Since this dish consists of bell peppers and pepper-seasoned steak, it stays naturally low in carbs. Not to mention that bell peppers are loaded with vitamin C.
- Mongolian BBQ: Opt for a different kind of Chinese dining experience. Mongolian BBQ lets you choose your veggies and meats and how to prepare them, helping reduce added sugars and starches.
What To Look Out For
When trying to keep things low-carb while enjoying Chinese food, there are a few things to look out for and avoid.
For starters, avoid any rice and noodles that can quickly turn a low carb meal to a high carb extravaganza. The same goes for any dish that includes dumplings. As good as dumplings are, they are also pure carbs.
When ordering soups, be aware that some places may put cornstarch in to thicken the soup. Ask if it is an option to have the soup without thickening agents to help keep carbs lower.
It Is Possible After All
From meat and vegetable dishes to delicious classic soups, you have various choices to enjoy for low carb Chinese eating.
So when friends or family ask if you want to get Chinese food, you no longer need to avoid it, afraid it’ll wreck your low carb eating. With a few tweaks here and there and a little knowledge of your options, you can enjoy a low-carb Chinese meal after all.
Or, to put it another way, with a little knowledge, you can make the impossible possible.